Sell on Ebay, Etsy, Vinted or rent your home using Airbnb…….. Firms will now report your earnings to HMRC so check if you need to pay tax……

If you sell goods online on sites such as eBay, Etsy or Vinted, rent out your home on Airbnb, or earn extra income from providing services via platforms including Deliveroo or Uber, then these firms will soon start passing on information about you to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). This means it’s vital to check if you need to declare your income through self-assessment and possibly pay tax on it.

Starting on Monday 1 January, so-called “digital platforms” now have to collect extra information about sellers, including – crucially – how many sales they’ve made and how much income they’ve generated.

The platforms will have to start automatically sharing this information with HMRC by 31 January 2025 – the first lot of data-sharing will cover the current 2024 calendar year, which is why it’s worth getting on top of it now.

Previously, HMRC was able to access sellers’ information from UK-based online platforms when required. The new, automatic data-sharing process, which also covers overseas platforms, is being implemented after the UK signed up to rules by the international Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, which aim to tackle tax evasion globally.

Your information WON’T be automatically shared if you only sell a small number of goods

If all you’re doing is selling goods online, firms will ONLY pass on data to HMRC automatically if you’re selling 30 or more items a year OR have total earnings over the equivalent of €2,000 (currently around £1,700) (a) – so if you’re doing a lot less than that, it isn’t an issue. However, it’s worth noting you may still have to pay tax if you earn more than £1,000 from selling.

Sites and apps will also have to share information on anyone who provides services (such as food delivery, childcare, plumbing and so on), or rents out property or a vehicle.

Under the new rules, a digital platform is any “app, website or other type of software that connects sellers to the consumers of their goods and services”, according to accounting firm PWC – meaning lots of popular sites and apps are covered.

However, the new measures DON’T apply to cashback sites, such as Quidco and Topcashback, as cashback is not taxable.

Making Tax Digital For Income Tax

This is a new system for recording and reporting income and expenditure if you are self employed and/or receive property income.

 This consists of keeping your records in a digital format.

Please note the introduction of this has now been delayed to April 2026 for Sole Traders and Landlords earning above £50,000.

National Living Wage Changes

National Living Wage Advice

changes to National Living Wages from 1st April 2024.

The National Living Wage rate per hour depends on your age and whether you’re an apprentice – you must be at least school leaving age to get it.

The New Rate From 1st April 2024 are as follows:

Age 21 & over Age 18-20 Under 18 Apprentice Rate
£11.44 £8.60 £6.40 £6.40


Please contact Clayton’s Accountancy Services for further National Minimum Wage Advice or any other business accounting matter.

New National Living Wage

New National Living Wage

New National Living Wage

In April 2016 the governments New National Living Wages will become law.

If you are an employer, you’ll need to make sure you’re paying your employees correctly. From April 2016 all workers aged 25 and over are legally entitled to at least £7.20 per hour.

About the New National Living Wage

The government wants to move from a low wage, high tax, high welfare society to a higher wage, lower tax, lower welfare society.

The New National Living Wage is an essential part of this. It ensures that work pays, and reduces reliance on the state topping up wages through the benefits system.


If you are 25 and over then you should see the increase in your pay automatically from April, if you currently earn the current national minimum wage for adults of £6.70 per hour then the increase of 50 pence per hour ,if you are a full time worker will make an annual increase of at least £910. Please check your payslip in April to ensure your pay has been automatically increased. If you don’t see a difference you may want to speak to your employer or visit ACAS for more information.

For more information or advice on the above please contact Claytons Accountancy Services Ltd.